Pages

Panasonic TC-L42U22 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV


I replaced a 6 year old plasma TV that went out. My TV screen faces multiple windows. With the plasma I had to cover the windows with towels during the day to avoid glare. With this TV any glare is barely noticeable and only when the screen is dark. I'm watching it right now (day time) with the windows uncovered.

I live at 5000 feet which caused the plasma to generate a lot of heat. That thing was hot! I could feel the heat radiating from it when I walked by. It did help heat my house in the winter, but probably caused the TV to give up the ghost. This Panasonic generates very little heat and is hardly even warm to the touch.

The only issue is one I discovered after installing this TV and apparently many LCD TV's have this issue. With the TV powered on my dish network remote would not operate the dish network receiver. After entering the proper code it did operate the TV fine but not the dish network receiver. I had to put the remote withing 2 inches of the dish IR port to get it to function. I had a couple of very frustrating days fighting this thinking it was the dish receiver flaking out. Then I did some research and discovered the interference issue with the LCD TV and various receivers. Different LCD TV's have different fixes. Some fixes I found are: turn CATS on or off on the TV, turn energy savings on or off or adjust back lighting. On this TV you adjust the back light on the TV. This TV adjust from 1 to 100. I found that adjusting it below 45 the dish remote inconsistently operated the dish receiver. At 42 or lower the dish remote refused to operate the dish receiver at all. I set the TV back light at 78 and the problem was solved. My research showed that this issue is not limited to any one manufacturer and indicates manufactures are aware of the issue. The possible resolutions to this issue should be included in the manual.

I ordered an HDMI cable with this TV, but it was shipped separately and am still waiting on it and am only viewing 480i. Even with an analog signal the picture is much clearer than my old plasma. However, with the analog signal I notice some fuzziness with quick moves on the screen. Most notably when using the dish TV guide. As I move around the guide it turns fuzzy for a fraction of a second, but it immediately clears up and becomes sharp. I suspect this will be resolved once I receive the HDMI cable and boost the resolution to 1080 since it's a fairly well known fact that an HD TV picture is less than perfect with an analog signal.

I use the dish remote to operate the TV, but I will note that the TV remote buttons are large and well labeled. The exception is the keys labeled R, G, B and Y. They apparently have nothing to do with the RGBY connection. One wonders why they are labeled this way. On page 11 of the manual it notes the colored buttons are used for various functions and refers to pages 14, 18 and 31 for examples. I could find no reference to these buttons on pages 14 or 18. Page 31 simply says that these buttons are available when their purpose is displayed on the screen. I guess I'll find out what they're for when I need them. I don't consider this a negative because it doesn't concern me. It's just a little confusing.

So far I am really happy with the TV. This is a good looking TV. The bezel isn't huge and the speakers are in back which I like. I had it up and running without ever cracking the manual. I look forward to when the HDMI cable arrives. Though I haven't used all the features I certainly recommend this TV. Just be aware of the IR interference issue and how to resolve it and you will be happy with it. see more best hdtv 1080p

  • 42-inch LCD HDTV with full 1080p HD resolution; IPS panel for excellent viewing from almost any angle
  • 20,000:1 contrast ratio; 24P Playback function for superb imagery from 24-frame movies on DVD
  • VIERA Image Viewer for JPEG image slideshows directly from an SD memory card
  • Inputs: 3 HDMI, 1 component, 2 composite, 1 PC, 1 digital audio output
  • Includes removable stand; measures 40.2 x 26.8 x 12.2 inches with stand

See more Panasonic TC-L42U22 42-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV Review

Visit : Acer AOD250-1604 Netbook Acer AOD250-1165 Netbook Acer AOA150-1635 Netbook